Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shared values

I have found that there are too many good books out there to read and not enough time in the day to get them all read.  I have been picking away at The Leadership Challenge for quite a while.  It was recommended by @leadershipfreak as one of the best books to read on leadership.  One of the biggest impacts on me in the book was the segment on shared values.  I am reminded of this in my new position as superintendent.  
"Leaders can't impose their values on organizational members.  Instead they must be proactive in involving people in the process of creating shared values."
It is very easy as a leader to have tunnel vision and not see other perspectives when implementing change.  We often see the end result in our minds and assume other people see it too.  I think about all the initiatives that we force feed teachers and the so called "silver bullet" programs.  In the end we need to involve them more into our decision making to develop trust. (thanks @samfrancera)

"Shared values are the result of listening, appreciating, building concensus, and practicing conflict resolution." 

"Unity is forged, not forced."


No comments:

Post a Comment