Developed w/ http://www.lucidchart.com/
Tomorrow we will continue discussing grading reform at our school. We are making small strides towards grading reform. The chart above is how I envision standards based grading, which is where I hope our journey takes us.
Standards based grading is not easy and difficult to implement. Below are a few of the must-do's to lay the ground work.
- You must decide what students need to know and be able to do when they exit your class.
- Develop the formative assessment of each standard.
- Discussions on how to respond to each student that is not meeting the proficient level.
- What interventions will be used to develop mastery?
- How will the team decide to gather the evidence of learning?
I am not an expert nor have I gone through the entire process. We are learning from mistakes as we go. A few of my PLC teams have completed their powerstandards or essential learnings for each course. These groups will begin developing their methods of assessments. I believe this is the most important part of the whole process.
Please provide some feedback to the graphic above. What are your thoughts on standards based grading?
A good source to spark a grading discussion is Elements of Grading by Doug Reeves